Monday, November 7, 2011

El Mojito A Taste of The Island In Seattle

On a rainy Tuesday night in Seattle I found a little slice of Sunshine at El Mojito, a little Cuban/Venzuelan restaurant in Northeast Seattle. I was greeted by the sounds of Cuban music and the smell of tostones. For just a moment, it felt like being on Calle Ocho (Eighth Street) in Miami. I was greeted by a young server named Carlos Ganz. The 18 year old told me how his father Juan opened the restaurant 9 years ago with the Island theme.
 
        Sweet Maduros                                             Arroz con Pollo Cuban Style

When Carlos handed me the menu my eyes and taste buds delighted at the  thoughts of Arroz Con Pollo, Camorones, Tostones and Black Beans that would soon hit my taste buds.
Besides the smells and the music my favorite part of El Mojito was the atmosphere. It's just a tiny place but it's very comfortable. The music from the islands dance from the speakers and after a few minutes you want to get up and Salsa. In fact there's bongos, tamborines and other instruments that kids are encouraged to play. And needless to say my son took full advantage of it. He played the bongos until his food arrived along with the other kids and adults who cared to join in.
 
                 My Son Deano bangs away on the Bongos
 The food was amazing. My Arroz con Pollo reminded me of the times in Kendall, a suburb of Miami where you could find a Cuban deli on every corner. The taste of the tostones were like a trip to Miami Beach. And the maduros made me feel like I was sitting in Abula's kitchen. If you hadn't guessed by now I really liked El Mojito.
Fridays and Saturdays are their busy days according to Carlos. You can visit them at 7545 Lake City Way NE Seattle, WA 98115

1 comment:

  1. It sounds interesting.
    There are similar places like El Mojito here in South Florida.
    There is an Argentinian place called La Estancia Argentina that is very cool.
    If you have the opportunity to visit Miami you should try it.

    Their Facebook page is: La Estancia Argentina

    ReplyDelete